Thursday, December 06, 2007

KLPAC Scene Study class overview

Weeks ago, I attended this acting class in KL Performing Arts Centre. Yea, I want to be in a Maggie Mee commercial so I need to brush up my acting right?

At RM450 for a 6-week course I couldn’t say it was cheap, but I know if I don’t take this course this year then I never will in the future. Besides the fact that this particular acting technique called “Practical Aesthetics” was used by the babe-licious Jessica Alba, I don’t know what to expect.

Okay, I do admit that I was fantasizing Jessica Alba to be my teacher la…

Anyway, I don’t know shit about theater acting and all. Heck, I don’t even know where KLPAC is located at the time.

As I discovered the place though, I tell you I immediately fell in love with the surroundings at KLPAC. The main entrance to the place had this long and winding road that really made me wanna sing the Beatles’ The Long and Winding Road.


"the long and winding road...that leads to your door..."

It was a park that reminded me of Melbourne; single tall trees, vast landscape that you can play Frisbees with your pet dog, a beautiful pond (sadly it was kinda green…) with tasty-looking ducks and fishes. The buildings at the location were impressive as well; the old British colonial building as well as the elegant KLPAC building itself was a sight to behold.


More magnificent than the buildings was the class itself. Initially the first class session (conducted by David Lim) was ridiculously boring; it was like I was back in secondary school listening to some History crap! After the long lecture on the history of acting and the theory on how “Practical Aesthetics” was developed…blah blah blah…only then the class had gotten way more interesting.


taken from www.ugwug.blogspot.com

Throughout the course, I learnt to analyze a particular scene with questions like “What is the character’s action?” and “What is the character’s stake?” as well as having an “As If” which was relating a character’s action to something that you can relate in your life. Also, there’s a fun exercise called “Repetition”, which pretty much help improved my observation skills. The point: A lot of thinking required to act! Okay, so acting wasn’t all that easy either….

The value of this course though wasn’t just on the teachings itself or the certificate that I would receive at the end of the course; it was the people I met there. These classmates are the main reason why I enjoyed this course so much; every single time I went for class I would always had a good dose of laughter. Prefect after-work stress reliever I tell you :)


Playing as Chandler of "Friends"

Oh, not to forget the hot chicks in the class! :) :)


The babes behind "Kill Bill"

During the last day, the we showcased a presentation to our invited friends. Our presentation would show people a bunch of scenes from various shows we chose to play and act out. I started the play screaming at the audience as O-Ren
Ishii of Kill Bill, followed by being Ricky (American Beauty), Hitch (Hitch), Jack (Sideways) and Chandler (Friends). And how did the presentation turned out?


Sing:"I'm wishing for the the star...I'm trying to believe..."

In a word: AWESOME! Almost all of us performed at our best…some even became the character rather than acting as the character! It was an experience to watch…and yes, someone recorded the whole presentation so I’ll do what I can to get hold of the video.


(From left to right) Linora, Grace, Ah_Mike, Suni, David, Juliane,
Stephanie, Min Li, Adrain & Gambit
MIA: Wei Jun, Salleh, Khairul

I believe you should give this class a go, regardless of whether you know nothing about acting or not. It’s worth something to learn…and it’s more worth to know people and build up your circle of friends. So do check up www.klpac.com.my and sign up for their newsletters…I’m sure the next David Lim’s Scene Study class would come again next year!


Part of the play.

Now, I shall wait for the audition for the next Maggie Mee commercial!


Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump!....

Read more about the course from Linora's blog here and Min Li's blog here.

3 comments:

Aronil said...

ahh yes i shall miss u guys dearly... but it's not the end yet... u can't get rid of us that easy hehehe. Was a great learning exp n meeting u all.

cherleebrity said...

Heya mikey! Sounds like QUT performing arts classes... lol lol...did they make u walk around the hall "walking in space" and then creating objects/locations with ur body? *haha*

Who taught? Julie?

Ah_Mike said...

aronil: Haha...yea, we'll still see each other regularly. Great experience to know you guys too :)

cherleebrity: LOL...er, not to that extend wo...It's David Lim who taught us. Who's Julie anyway?