Saturday, December 13, 2008

SAMS Anime Gathering 2008: A perfect case of concern

***Sorry guys for the delay or this entry. Had problems uploading videos to blogger for the last few days.***

Hours after the Chibicon event I went for the Anime Gathering at the same place. I was told to bring an Ichigo (Strawberry) item to the event. As such I got myself a hair clipper (which I can't clip on my hair haha) thanks to my friend Alvin.

At RM25, I was really hoping that this event wouldn't disappoint.



Despite coming in around 7pm, we felt like we were the first guests to arrive...there was hardly anyone sitting at all! Hmph! Talk about Malaysian timing!



Then it hit me. The lack of crowd was clearly a warning that the event will not live up to the value of the ticket and my already low expectations.

While awaiting for the VIPs, Ian, the President of SAMS persuaded the 'crowd' to be patient and encouraged us to walk around and know people.



Here's the itinerary. I fancied the "Ice Breaking" session as I was hoping to know this hot babe who came to the event in a yukata (some traditional Jap clothing).



And here's the menu for my dinner. What the fuck...plain rice as a DISH!?



The event only started around 7.40p.m. if I remembered correctly. That's an hour delay! And when the MCs came up to stage, I knew from there on this event could only get worst.

video
Good morning to you too bro!

And the first performance? Oh dear lord the performer's nervous! You could tell by listening to his play and how it was not smooth for our ears...it didn't help that the audio was quite fucked-up. In short, the music sounded like a video game from the Super Nintendo.



Then came the ice breaking session I was looking forward for...but somehow this ice breaking was instead an introduction to the SAMS committee followed by a single "Yum Seng" moment.

video

What??? That's the ice breaking session???? I thought ice breaking is when you actually get to meet new friends and interact with all of them...not a one-way introduction of the names of the committee!

Sigh...at least the "special surprise" session was surprising interesting. Basically the surprise was to get us (1 team per table) to move around and find people with certain items (as written on a piece of paper) to win a prize. Well, the main prize was a hamper...and while my team didn't win it but I like my unofficial prize, which was the phone number of the hot babe (which was part of the "certain item" list by the way)!

The 2nd performance for the night was two girls singing a Japanese song:

video

Not bad don't you think? I actually like it :)

As for the lucky draws, Alvin got lucky and won himself a Naruto soft toy. Awww....so cute! His brother Aldrain won a Snoopy in an earlier lucky draw.



As for the final performance for the night...umm, please watch the video; it'll sum up whole night.

video

What. The. Fuck. Where's the red lightsaber!? Not even a duel like the original Star Wars!? Instead we're treated to a lightsaber dance!?

Come on la...if that was the case I rather see the girls in Yukata dancing!

Finally, the torture was over as Ian announced the closing of this extraordinary (read: sacarsm) night.



Before we leave, here's a video from the SAMS team:

video

I'll be lying if I said I enjoyed the night one bit. RM25 for an unorganised event was clearly a rip-off to my money. And while they can say that they are students and they don't have the budget and time to make it better then why bother to do the event right? Back in my college days this would have been clearly unacceptable.

As such, I want to become part of the SAMS committee and I've already spoken to Ian about that. I want to make their 3rd Anime Gathering (if they are gonna do it again) their best event. Not just that I wanna walk the talk and prove that my slight background in event management would help them, but I really want this club to improve and not, well, cheat people's money on crap events such as theirs.

This is my promise.


P.S.:Oh yea, I am missing something: the food. It was cold, plain, and simply undelicious. Had this event started on time then the food surely had tasted better! The only exception was the dessert which was a cake. I was told the catering came from a Japanese restaurant in Crowne Plaza (or was it Crowne Square?)...so avoid that at all cost!

5 comments:

M said...

Hehehe, I didn't know you were into anime. Haha.

ahlost said...

Like M, I didn't know you were into anime too :D

Ah_Mike said...

M & ahlost: Haha er yea I'm into anime...I just not hardcore about it ;)

cal81 said...

hey, u're into anime too! i was there too, but only for the convention in the morning session...

NOO~~~ said...

lol im the guy mc tat nite..pls dun hurt me :(

Stumble upon ur blog. well yea. the dinner wasnt well coordinated. I was pulled in as emcee last minute..the other emcee didnt come mar...and im supposed to go there as a guest for dinner! but heck. Gota help or things would be worse.

dun be too hard on us XD